First mod for bad company 2..

Until this forum becomes busy just include BF2, 2142 or BFV in the title
fo0k

First mod for bad company 2..

Post by fo0k »

Forgive the misleading title.. but anyone tried yet?

My pc is on a boat travelling half way round the world to get to me atm. So I have not played bc2 yet.
Looking forward to seeing discussion on it here though. Bring on the next wave of pc bf mods!
tekk

Re: First mod for bad company 2..

Post by tekk »

I have only heard rumors that they are not releasing modding tools for the game, and may not either :(
Nodbrother- "getting whiped every single game by some over-active 9 year old kid with too much spare time and a reaction time that is a third of yours."
Player

Post by Player »

tekk wrote:I have only heard rumors that they are not releasing modding tools for the game, and may not either :(
Yah I've seen a number of posts stateting there will be no mod tools released officially... But there are a few that have extracted Frostbite compressed files.

So Im sure it wont be long before some people find a way to get things started..

http://aluigi.org/papers.htm#quickbms
http://aluigi.org/papers/bms/fbrb.bms
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

I'd imagine it will be a little while before we see any kind of mod for this game. :P
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Poow

Post by Poow »

Hmm well, there are no server files etc. :(
You’re entering a world of pain!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Afaik the netcode will not be released.. But I can't see that stopping the hardcore nerds figuring it out.
The editor will slip out soon enough I'm sure.. I saw it. It's pretty.. I'm sure dice will come around to the modders needs with enough interest/pressure..
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

It's somewhat sad DICE decided to shut down the modding front like that :( . I mean, come on, BF1942, BFV and BF2 all have a good part of their popularity only BECAUSE of the mods, especially in terms of long-term popularity. And players that are bound long-term to a product usually develop quite some loyalty (well, at least I know I have!). BFBC2 may be fun, but IMO it get's boring pretty fast...and it would be just an awesome base for all-new mods, considering its awesome engine and awesome potential 8-) .

Shutting everything down to force "hardcore nerds" to figure it out complicates things very much and eats up a lot of motivation for potential modders. I mean, even BF42 that had a relatively good documentaion with the online MDT database etc. still was very difficult if one wanted to do "special" stuff ( one of the reason this sites exists :) ), and an advanced engine like BFBC2? Well...
Marshall_Nord

Post by Marshall_Nord »

I think this is due to a bit of arrogance and jealousy on the part of DICE. Yes, I’m sure there are technical issues to consider, but when DICE sees mods such as FH1/FH2 being made free (by volunteers) that are 10x better than their paid-for core games & booster packs; I’m sure it doesn’t sit too well with their corporate “Bobble Heads”.
freddy

Post by freddy »

is it DICE`s call then? i thought EA bought it all so then i must be EA rolling the dice !?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

They are all EA But each studio - dice, criterion, phenomic etc etc all like to keep their identity.. It's good for moral :)