Mod Request: COW Mod-cows instead of soldiers

Give a clear description of what you need and maybe Santa will deliver
LetsPlay

Mod Request: COW Mod-cows instead of soldiers

Post by LetsPlay »

HI, my daughter (99% angel) loves BF1942 and also loves cows. She's 7 so playing the game gives her some time to really let go and have fun. She's asked me to find cow games for her and they all to put it bluntly-stink.

So I suggested to her I make a mod, swapping out cows where the soldiers are.

I would end up starting at the very ground level, knowing next to nothing about modding. I get the concept but have no "real" clue about the technique.

So I turn to you'll.

The only thing that would change is how the soldiers (on both sides) are depicted: cows instead of human soldiers.

The requirements are

Cows instead of soldiers;
With black spots on white fur for the Allies and white spots on black fur for the Axis.;
Set in the basic bf1942 game battle maps;
Where there are helmets there would be horns;
Instead of hands holding the gun it would be hooves;
No udders on the cows (they are all be male)
They walk on their hind legs
and only quote "a little bit of blood" (from my daughter)

The images, I think given what she says, could be sort of cartoon-ish and do not need to be very realistic.

I hope someone takes up the charge. She, I and my son all think it is VERY funny. (Her favorite thing to do is shoot "the friends" as in friendly fire.)

While I know this may make some people squeamish, it is to be entirely with a light heart and actually enormous amounts of love for cows. She currently is vegetarian by her own moral choice. So this is just for silliness and I do apologize if it offends anyone.

That all being said, thanks in advance.

PS. If you like to idea but don't want to do the project please, please, please offer words of advise, encouragement and suggestions on how to go about it. This is one little girl's dream I really do want to make come true.

Ciao. Have a great one.

[I'm sorry if this is double posted. I did not see it go to the forum page. So need some info on if I will be sent a confirmion message or if it has to be approved first. Thanks, for your patience.]
Last edited by LetsPlay on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swaffy

Re: Mod Request: COW Mod-cows instead of soldiers

Post by Swaffy »

Huh. And what is that link about? It doesn't look related to any of this. Is it about cows?

Because I looked it up on Google Images and I don't see cows.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
LetsPlay

Post by LetsPlay »

HI.

I am very sorry about the link. It was a copy-paste error and was not supposed to be there.

I tried to edit it out and Really wish I could as it looks SO wrong and points people in the wrong direction and undermines the effort.

Please, please, let me know if you know how I can go back in and edit it out.

As to pictures, she and I and my son are all here writing this and found these 2 images and two cad models that are Very close to what we are thinking.

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=2603

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=1985

Thank you, so much for taking an interest and getting back with us. I hope the idea has piqued your interest enough to help.

Again, I am very sorry for the erroneous link and hope I can remove it somehow.

Ciao! :D :D :D

LetsPlay
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I think all that really needs to be done is change the soldier and helmet models. That way, animations are not an issue. I cannot make a model to save my life, so just putting a technique out there.

P.S. I love seeing weird ideas. I am yet to come up with weirder.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
LetsPlay

Post by LetsPlay »

This had me burst out laughing.

I think it is just the weirdness that appeals to me. It had me concocting and brainstorming an entire bf1942 farm-yard mod with the kids. :lol:

I did learn a few things last night:
The 3ds file I got (from the web) can be converted to .sm and .rs via the '42 Mod Kit (3D Model Conversion tool in that Kit).
The files in the .rfa files ARE .sm and .rs
So I tried unpacking the 3ds file, replacing 1PUsBody.rs/.sm and usbody.rs/.sm with the .sm and .rs cow files, yet nothing except a good and healthy crash. :-) occurred.

If someone can tell me:

1 How do I use Blender (tho I did figure out some of the tools and now the cow is tipped over with his feet on the ground and head in the air) to make the cow stand up and make his head point forward that would be GREAT!!!

2 How do I unpack, replace, repack the .rfa file so it will (at least for the first step) have humans with cows underneath them

3 Which files (all) do I need to amend? I can see each country Germany, USA, Russia etc, has its own body, helmet, hands etc. files so they would all need to be replaced by the axis and allies cow files. However, I can not tell if I only need to replace in the StandardMesh.rfa files OR some other place else as well.

4 Are there cross-references between the .sm, .rs, and .rfa files that I need to know about? Or can I just use the unpack, paste, repack technique to change only the standardMesh files and it will effect all of the vanilla battles across the board?

And to you, Vilespring, thank you so much for the vote of confidence. I told the kids we have about a 85-90% chance of getting good news. Because we are well aware not all will see our bit of weirdness as Good weirdness.

Thanks, again, Vilespring.

And to others, help with the above questions would definitely get me a long way toward the goal.

Ciao! Got to go play...It's my turn.
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I have limited knowledge about meshes, but what I do know, is if the mesh is changed from the human to a cow part, it should effect the game, with no need to rename things. Not to mention, you need to find the according DDS texture file in the textures.rfa, and change that to. I would recommend making a separate mod for it, but I have some mods that don't have mod folders yet, so I install them within the vanilla game. If you are going to mod it like how I am, BACK UP! BACK UP! BACKUP!!!! I have so many copies of vanilla game RFAs that it is almost funny. I have the RFAs in my desktop, C:/stuff with no place, In the game's folder, and a fully functional copy of BF1942 on my flash drive. Also, as I have told many newcomers, install the debug EXE. It allows you to see where you messed up on your mesh.

link for debugger, here it is;
http://www.shacknews.com/file/4460/batt ... executable the, download link at the top is an ad, DO NOT CLICK IT!!! use the one at the bottom of the page.

Make sure the game is in windowed mode, or the game will crash when an error pops up. Go into your Battlefield 1942 directory, go to mods, go to bf1942, go to Settings, open VideoDefault.con, change renderer.setFullScreen to 0.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"