CSM - Dynamic shadows for turrets and gun barrels

Lots of cool and useful tips to mod either serverside or clientside
freddy

Re: CSM - Dynamic shadows for turrets and gun barrels

Post by freddy »

Apache Thunder wrote: You should get the idea here. You make a dummy rotation bundle that has the same movement as the turret and give it a gunbarrel mesh that has a shadow mesh, (it could use the same geometry for the visible gun barrel as long as it actually has a shadow mesh in the SM file and such) then make it invisible with the invisible command and voila! Shadowmeshes for child objects!
well i was thinking if one ought to use this method but for a extra shadow like an exact copy of the original PCO shadow if possible

how would it look like with two low-res shadows on the same spot? improvement or no difference?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

shadows seem to fit into a grid on the ground.. they are not blocky but move smooth.. they kinda hop between grid squares.. so i think it would have no positive effect.. would be good otherwise though.. a kinda manual way of achieving antialiasing if you offset them all slightly :) heheh
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

also just fyi.. shadows are the same res regardless of heightmap resolution (I have increased heightmap detail it 2 fold in rccmod but its still the same res shadow)

This must mean there is some kind of shadow map/grid it works to?

fo0k

Post by fo0k »

so we cant spawn a projectile.. but can we fire a projectile (a mine for example) and attach a pco to it? then you have a bot auto fire these projectiles which are actually vehicles.. and the projectile holds the hd shadow? :/
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

The game would likely CTD. If there is a object addTemplated to the Projectile that has collision physics, it would either CTD from that object interacting with the terrain or when someone walks/drives into it. The game doesnt like it when the projectile is moved by means of a addTemplated PCO or solid object.

I once addTemplated a soldier to a projectile and the game would CTD when I drove into it with a vehicle. I turned off collision physics and response physics for the soldier addtemplated to it and the CTDs stopped.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!