Bots and Delayed FireArms (Bonb Drops)

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Swaffy

Bots and Delayed FireArms (Bonb Drops)

Post by Swaffy »

Do bots attempt to release a bomb from an airplane earlier if the bomb has a fire delay on it? Or do they drop it like normal and the bomb drops later, off target?

My automatic bomb drops for my B-17 and Ju 88A have 10 and 12 bomb racks for the automatic bomb drop. The bots are weird because they drop the first bomb on target then the rest just trail away from the target, possibly killing teammates or other enemies. I would like that "trail" of bombs to be in the center of the intended target.
Last edited by Swaffy on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Vilespring

Re: Bots and Delayed FireArms

Post by Vilespring »

I would say put the network on the center bomb.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Vilespring wrote:I would say put the network on the center bomb.
That is a good idea. Before you posted I tried that first on the middle bomb, then on the last bomb. It seems like the bot dropped them all the same, where there was no delay made up for.

Is there a line of code that I can put in the AI weapon template that causes the bot to fire earlier?
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

What about a fake bomb that drops early?
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Vilespring wrote:What about a fake bomb that drops early?
That's also a good idea, but I'm sure that will only make the 'real' bombs drop later than they should. The trick is to get the bot to release the first bomb early so that the middle bombs will hit the intended target.

I wish there was a way to set a negative delay. :lol: \sarcasm

[Edit] Hmm, would adding the delay code to the AI weapon template make the bot drop the bomb early?
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I typed that a little wrong.
I thought of a fake bomb that has different ballistics so that it hits the ground later.

Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Vilespring wrote:I typed that a little wrong.
I thought of a fake bomb that has different ballistics so that it hits the ground later.
That actually gives me an idea. What if I add a fake bomb that gets released like ... 50 feet in front of the bomber and has the networkInfo and AI template? I'm gonna try that. So it will have the same drop/flight physics, it's just further ahead.
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

Swaffy wrote: That actually gives me an idea. What if I add a fake bomb that gets released like ... 50 feet in front of the bomber and has the networkInfo and AI template? I'm gonna try that. So it will have the same drop/flight physics, it's just further ahead.
Glad I could help! :)

freddy

Post by freddy »

Swaffy wrote:
Vilespring wrote:I would say put the network on the center bomb.
Before you posted I tried that first on the middle bomb, then on the last bomb. It seems like the bot dropped them all the same
I have never seen networkinfo on projectiles except exppacks and LandmineProjectile, are you sure it makes any difference to use it on a bomb?

I think the AI uses the bombrackdummy for calculating when to release the bombs or something the like
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

freddy wrote:
Swaffy wrote:I have never seen networkinfo on projectiles except exppacks and LandmineProjectile, are you sure it makes any difference to use it on a bomb?

I think the AI uses the bombrackdummy for calculating when to release the bombs or something the like
No, silly. I have 12 FireArms with one bomb each. So I have only one of those 12 FireArms with the networkInfo and AI added.

I might add a 13th bomb rack that acts as the dummy bomb, and I might use that for the networkInfo and AI. Then I'll set it like ... 100 feet in front of the bomber?

Question is, how am I going to set up a dummy projectile that has the same flight characteristics as the real bombs? It can't do any damage, make effects, or have a visual mesh.