Copying objects between mods

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
matty9

Copying objects between mods

Post by matty9 »

Firstly, I don't do any coding or mapping etc. I have made minor modifications to the odd map e.g. swapping vehicles & kit but haven't really needed to get into the nitty-gritty of con files etc.

I am keen to include destructible bridges into my existing DCF maps, and found that the Finnwars mod has such a thing. Trouble is, I really have no idea what I need to copy over to make it work.

BTW, this isn't for a server or anything - I don't have a suitable connection to play online, even if I could find DCF servers in NZ - I just like to play SP.

In the Finnwars mod I found a modified woodbrdg folder in objects.con/buildings ( I extract/pack with BGA) and a couple of standardmesh and texture files, but would dearly like to know what to do with them, and if there is anything else I should be looking for!

Once I get the technique sorted, I can also import other things (hopefully) like the flettner and other vehicles/weapons!

While I don't consider myself a non-technical person, and can understand what to do when told, a lot of the talk on here is sooo far over my head! Kudos to all who do all the great work I enjoy in mods :)
Vilespring

Re: Copying objects between mods

Post by Vilespring »

Well, You have to go into its file and copy all assets it uses, the meshes and textures. The geometry files tell what meshes are used, and the mesh files tell what textures are used. Problem is, most mods had modified the materials, so it might not react right to weapons.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
matty9

Post by matty9 »

Yeah, that's sort of the info I was looking for. A bit more detail for the ignorant though?
e.g.
ObjectTemplate.create SimpleObject woodbrd_piece
ObjectTemplate.geometry woodbrd_piece
I can sort of understand what it's doing, but it's not specified, or is taken as common knowledge, where I find the geometry and images of woodbrdg_piece

Would it help if I posted the woodbrdg objects.con and geometries.con files and someone could point out what other files etc are referred to and where I should look for them?

Do I then take those assets and incorporate them into my existing objects/textures/standardmesh etc, or do I make objects_001?
Would that be in the bf1942 root folder, or in the archives of the DCF mod?
|
You could have a point with modified materials, as the new bridge is susceptible to damage and the old one isn't!
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

Okay, so you found what geometry it uses, so then you have to go into the standardmesh.rfa and find that geometry, find the 1 of the 2 files with the same name that has the textures it uses, and take those too. I'd say put them into the RFA of the mod your modding. also, did you back up vanilla 1942? because if you didn't, DO IT! I have about 5 copies of the game files, 2 operating copies on my PC, 1 operational copy on my flashdrive, and 2 copies of the archives on my PC.

MAKE SURE YOU BACK IT UP!
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

If you want to make destroyable statics, I suggest you look at this tutorial: http://bfmods.com/mdt/Tutorials/Destroy ... stroy.html

The destroyable factory PCO (player controllable object) is found in the Battle of Britain map and I think is the basis to understand how to make destroyable buildings. Notice that the strategy explained in the tutorial can be applied to all kind of objects (props, trees, etc).
See my Strasbourg map project here.
matty9

Post by matty9 »

Classical Modder wrote:If you want to make destroyable statics, .
I don't want to make them - someone's already made the bridge I want - but I'm a whiz at C&P!

I've got the objects,geometries & network in the finnwars bridge folder, though they seem slightly different to the examples in the tutorial. They have far more info, including armoreffects etc. (BTW, I can't seem to find e_scrapbridge anywhere in objects/effects)
The tutorial has given me a clue as to where to look for the assets referenced in the woodbrdg files e.g. "GeometryTemplate.file woodbrd_piece" and associated .rs and .sm files.

Confusing me is that some things are referenced to files in the original 1942 objects.con - is that a fallback reference, and it will look for them there if they can't be found in the mod's own files? Should I put my modified texture_099 etc in the DCF archives folder, or with the originals?

Again, there are many things that it is taken for granted that I know, when I am really just feeling my way in the dark :D

I never knew cut&paste was going to be so hard lol. Oh, and I can't compare my files to the minimod cited in the tutorial as fileplanet no longer has the download :(