Idea for a destructable tire

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Vilespring

Idea for a destructable tire

Post by Vilespring »

I have been thinking recently about how to make breaking tires without killing the occupants on a vehicle, and I got this idea.

So the actual wheel would be the rim, and it would have low grip because well, it's a wheel rim. Then, added to the rim is the balloon of the tire. The rubber would be a PCO, and the only thing it would have is the rubber as a wheel that is very stiff so it won't move, won't rotate, and has a very high grip. This would be added to the rim via spawner and held in place, and when the hub rotates, so does the rubber.

is there a chance this would work at all? I would test it, but I'm stuck at making a wheel that I could use! :lol:
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Apache Thunder

Re: Idea for a destructable tire

Post by Apache Thunder »

Unfortunately this won't work. PCO's held onto spawners via holdObject do not impact the movement physics of the host vehicle. All you will get is lots of movement glitches. For example I have destructible signs set up onto holdObject spawners so they don't obstruct vehicles (as this can still occur to a certain degree even if they are destructible).

There have been times during testing where I forgot to set the correct material on a sign and it won't die when a vehicle hits it. So instead the vehicle pretty much passes through it as if it wasn't there. It was never dislodged from it's spawn point nor did it have any effect on the movement or speed of the vehicle hitting it. All I saw was it "vibrating" in place when ever I interacted with it. This definitely means that PCOs held onto spawners won't impact other objects or the host object they are attached too. So no dice on that idea. :(
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

Drats, thanks though!

Next weird idea is in the mix! :lol:
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

What if you add on a PCO that has a wheel attached to it?

So ... HostPCO > ChildPCO > ChildWheel
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

I believe the end result would be the same. Besides if you do that, you lose control of engine throttle and steering.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Apache Thunder wrote:I believe the end result would be the same. Besides if you do that, you lose control of engine throttle and steering.
Darn DICE for not letting us alter the source code! They are stupid butts.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™