What is the map scale in 1942?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
fo0k

What is the map scale in 1942?

Post by fo0k »

so how many miles/kilometers squared is a medium map? or maybe just how big a single texture sized area of terrain is?

I want to import some aerial photography onto a map as a base texture to work off of...
freddy

Post by freddy »

well if i take a coordinate in the game just standing still with a soldier it gives me a position about one meter over the surface so in my head the soldiers are a like 1 meter high. dunno if you could use that for mapscale tho :)
GoodDayToDie!!

Re: What is the map scale in 1942?

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Is this the map you wanna release for Christmas?

http://is82.com/e107_plugins/forum/foru ... .php?66395
fo0k

Re:

Post by fo0k »

freddy wrote:well if i take a coordinate in the game just standing still with a soldier it gives me a position about one meter over the surface so in my head the soldiers are a like 1 meter high. dunno if you could use that for mapscale tho :)
1 meter high is kinda low don't ya think?

GoodDay.. less randomness with posts..??
freddy

Post by freddy »

dunno what to base the scale on really, looked in CommonSoldierData.inc and there is some positions for the camera at different positions like Standing 0/0.65/0 Crouching 0/0.12/0 Lying 0/-0.7/0 and then a ObjectTemplate.setCharacterHeight -1.00 :shock:
archer

Post by archer »

All measurements are in meters. IIRC, soldiers are 1.5m high, which is quite low, but it somehow made sense for DICE. Also, camera height may not necessarily be on the level with soldier's eyes. I think they set it for whatever felt right. Since in the first person view you are not seeing any part of your body besides hands, it's not like anyone would notice that camera position is a bit off.

To reply to the original question, the answer is always within script files of given map.
Open <your map>/Init/Terrain.con, find "Console.WorldSize"
It's the length of the edge of your map in meters. For medium maps the value is typically 2048m. Since maps are always square, you can easily calculate the area of the map.
Then you can divide what you got by the number of surface map textures (typically 8x8) to get an area of a single texture.
In this example I simply divided 2048m by 8 maps and got 256m as the length of the edge of a single texture.
Be aware that the game.ActiveCombatArea option will limit the size of your map, but it will not affect calculations above.
dzn.battlefield.pl - my Bf1942 modding website
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

BF42 soldiers are about 1,60-1,70m tall (1P-camera height is set to 1,6m). 1,50m would be a bit low, but wouldn't be totally unrealistic for WW2 setting. For example many early war tanks had a crew height restriction of 1,50m (several countries have this limit even today!), simply because there was no room for larger men. Also you should not forget that the average size of humans has increased in the last century. In the beginning of the 20th century 1,50-1,70m was the average size, and you were thought extraordinarily tall when you reached 1,70m already. Today 1,70m is *yawn* and the usual size range is 1,70-1,80m. 10-20cm increase in average doesn't sound like much, but considering that's about 5-7% of the total size and all that in only one hundred years (in terms of evolution eras that is a ridiculously short amount of time), this is pretty astonishing.

But on topic: The game was developed by DICE, a Swedish company, and luckily for the world they decided to use the international metric system and not the utterly outdated and un-scientific imperial system (Americans, blame Hoover).
Regarding the "WorldSize": All this obviously only counts if you didn't mess with the heightmap ratio as well. I decided to employ a higher detail heightmap on several maps (reworked versions of vanilla maps, mainly), and if you use the usual trickery (double the size of the heightmap.raw but don't increase the .WorldSize) you have to take this into account.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

ok I did some manual investigation :)

You can see here soldiers end to end ( I accounted a little for the boots :) ) along the edge of map. I have split the square into 4x4 to show a 4x (1x1) m grid. (assuming that the 2048 figure is exact meters)
On this basis the soldiers are around 187cm.. 6 feet.. which makes a lot of sense to me. 187/6ft is the benchmark male height.. so with all the maths pointing to this and archer's points.. I think it's fair to say that a single terrain grid square is 'really is' 4 meters.. and a whole terrain square is 256..

although it does make the 1.6m camera height a bit off but maybe the cam is a bit lower to get weapons etc easily in view.
I appreciate your height statistics for the last century, Senshi but am assuming that DICE were not seeking such authenticity! heheh

so a value of 1 in bf speak.. = 1 meter

small map = 1024m² (~1 Km² - 0.64 miles²)
medium map = 2048m² (~2 Km² - 1.28 miles²)
large one = 4096m² (~4 Km² - 2.56 miles²)

disappointingly simple really :/ just never really stopped to actually look.

reminds me of this old post.. some scaling issues! heheh http://battlefieldmodding.com/ssm/phpBB ... 6f78f41d60
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Can anyone confirm for sure that my figures in red above are correct?

Im using a 'large' bf heightmap in a separate piece of software, and there it is only 2048m wide (when at the same visual scale to bf..) but above I had a large map at 4096m

I appreciate there are other possible factors for a miss-match like this.. but just checking these numbers look good.

:/