How to create a simple objects?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
anselmus

How to create a simple objects?

Post by anselmus »

Well, I know that to create objects for Bf42 must have the right tools. :shock:
However, even with the tools, someone could explain how to create a simple object, like a house, and then inserting the Bf42 to be used in a custom map?
That is, basic tutorial explaining step by step how to use the tools. :oops:
Or link.
Thanks.
Swaffy

Re: How to create a simple objects?

Post by Swaffy »

I'm sure 90% of the people here can help more than I can, but here's my try at helping you.

If you want me or someone else to expand on a certain step shown below, ask.
There's a lot of explaining to do, especially when creating the object in 3DS Max 7.
These steps are just general steps, excluding the details.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[1] Install Battlefield Mod Development Toolkit v2.75.

[2] Install 3DS Max 7, then install the BF Tools add-on that comes with the Battlefield Mod Development Toolkit.

[3] Install "BF Game Archive Tool" (found in the "Modding Tools" thread) to edit RFA files. Install Editor '42 to edit BF1942 maps.

[4] If you already have a mod, then create your object in 3DS Max 7 with textures, collision meshes, and possibly a shadow mesh. Export it and save the mesh to your "StandardMesh.rfa" file. Don't forget to save your texture in the "Textures.rfa" file too.

[5] Open up your "Objects.rfa" file. Go to the "Move_Files" folder and create a new folder using the name of your object.
Objects/Move_Files/YourNewObjectName

[6] What I'd do is copy the files from an already-existing StaticObject and just rename its scripting to tell it to load the files of your object.
Move_Files/NewObject/Objects.con
Move_Files/NewObject/Geometries.con
Move_Files/NewObject/AI/Objects.con

Save the RFA after changing the scripting so that it will load your new object instead of the copied object.

[7] Using Editor '42, place your StaticObject in a map and save it.

[8] Test the game.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
anselmus

Post by anselmus »

I have 3dmax 2009, work with MDT?
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

These are the only 3D Studio Max versions that work with Battlefield 1942 and the BF MDT tool:

3DS Max 5
3DS Max 6
3DS Max 7
3DS Max 8 with some special plug-in thing

The easiest way to go [in my perspective] is to get a torrent for 3DS Max 7. The reason I used the word "torrent" is because I don't think there's anywhere to purchase it at. The only place I've seen that has Max 7 available is through a torrent. If you don't want to get it through a torrent, then I will not be able to help you there.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Handicap

Post by Handicap »

You can also juggle with the file formats via the free Gmax program. It's basically an old and stripped down version of the 3Ds max -family, but it works with 42 and you can get plugins that allow you to import different formats like the .obj format, an (old) 3D industry standard.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

The MDT works with Max 09 and Max10 as well. You just have to copy the install files manually into your plugins folder, that's all.

1: Download this file: http://jg28senshi.jg.funpic.de/BFMDT%20files.rar
2: Extract it to the 3ds Max 09 MAIN folder.
3: Launch 3ds Max
4: Profit.

The only thing that doesn't work perfectly in Max9/10 is the vehicle importer/exporter, but you'll notice...

The tools however do NOT work in Max11 or Max12, because Maxscript had some severe changes in that version that destroy most of the MDT functions.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

all these workarounds for later versions.. :/

Let's face facts... zero people buy it anyway so it makes no odds which version/s people get.
For clarity and ease (and given (the original) tutorials out there for 1942 are done with a <7 version) I think it has to make sense to advise people get max 7 and leave it at that.

Yes you can fudge it with later versions but surely it makes sense to just go with 7.. and then down the line if you are more experienced you can use a later/multiple version/s?

this 'which version of max' question pops up regularly and always becomes a confusing mess for a beginner. can we advise 7 from here on in? :)

I would like to make a video tutorial on this to add to my little collection. I guess a start-to-finish make a very simple object, uvmap it and get it in game it really all thats needed?
anselmus

Post by anselmus »

In fact that could facilitate, is welcome. Tutorial video, even better
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Post by =ArA=DeathFromAbove »

I appreciate using the most current version and the advice given above.

However, I downloaded the file and unzipped it to the root and perhaps i have a conflict with CryTools for Crysis, but it did not run for me.

There were several scripting errors. Infact depending on the which item i selected in the Battlefield Tools menu, a different error popped up.

Has anyone experienced these errors? Any solutions?

I run a windows 7 system and cannot get my version of max 6 to run in win 7 so i have to run it in xp virtual mode. However, i cannot export .sm files. No matter what I have tried, i get the .rs file but not the .sm file. So i figured I would try the new version which does run on my win 7 system. However, everyway i turn BF Tools doesnt run.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

what are your issues running 6/7 on win7