Multiple skins for the same vehicle

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
hipnox

Multiple skins for the same vehicle

Post by hipnox »

Hello,

I wanted to make a vehicle with 2+ different skins. I know it can be done by duplicating the standardMesh file and changing the texture file, but that requires an additional vehicle object and an additional mesh file.

Is it possible to do this without coping the vehicle? (ie: have 1 PCO with mutliple meshes options, selected via the objectSpawn or random)
fo0k

Re: Multiple skins for the same vehicle

Post by fo0k »

hi hip,

perhaps easiest for you to look at this attached object for a Porsche 911. It has 44 random meshes/skins!

you can see the setup in the objects.con including the randomgeometries script/line.

If you get stuck just shout..
911RSR.rar
(8.11 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
hipnox

Post by hipnox »

Many thanks. that's exactly what i needed
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

I was messing around with the ME262 from old Forgotten Hope mod, and suddenly when I started up the map after som editing, the plane hade different textures. It changed from green cammo look to some desert texture. I didnt know how to get it back, so I went back to an older version of my map. But reading this thread, I know understand how it was possible. Thanks:).
I want to live in a created universe. Virtual reality, here I come.
hipnox

Post by hipnox »

Ooops, now i got a problem.

I tested the procedure in the Porche911 and it worked. the problem is that from the first person view i can see a good portion of the vehicle, hence when i'm inside, since there's only 1 internal, i see the wrong color (unless of course, both the external and internal match). I tried adding randomness to the internal, but it is, well, random, and it usually doesn't match with the exterior texture. I've no idea how to make both of them match. :?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

that is a problem.. also if you have high view distance you can have issues with the low detail mesh when at distance :/
also other players will see a random mesh too.. network info does not translate which mesh each player is using :/

I guess there could be a way to fix it.. or some of it!
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

IIRC the randomGeometries isn't really random (I think I read sth. about that on the MDT?) but only uses the meshes in a simple 1,2,3,... fashion. So randomgeometry 1 will always be loaded on first instance, the next vehicle load will get 2, then 3, etc. . So if you sync the 3p mesh numbers with their corresponding 1p mesh numbers you should be able to "link" the "random"ness.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

actually it seems to load them in order the first time through.. then once all have been loaded once.. it will start to spit them out randomly :)

however, with 44 meshes on that 911 you rarely actually saw the 'random' bit! but I do recall it not following order when doing some extreme spawn testing.