Help w/ Extracting Heightmaps from Google Earth, etc

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
GoodDayToDie!!

Help w/ Extracting Heightmaps from Google Earth, etc

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Hello again :!:

So, I have a new map idea for the interstate82 mod that I had already posted in a different thread. But giving it it's own thread will help keep it consolidated and concise. To make this map idea, I would have to take the Height map and implement it into battlecraft? editor42? At this point my expertise lies in battlecraft. I don't know the steps form extracting height maps from google earth and if anyone can provide a tutorial on the matter that would greatly increase my odds of making this map happen....What other programs would be needed (if any) would be invaluable to me!! I am still fairly new to modding/mapping and my skills are rough around the edges. My "can't" list is larger than my "can" list at this point, so I won't delve any deeper into that at the moment........

BOLIVIA'S DEATH ROAD

This is my original post on the "to be" map:

Similar to FlaMiN's(foOk's) idea about a map replica of the Mt. Washington rd project. I was watching the old "boob tube", and on the history channel there was this program called Deadliest Roads. I had seen this before, but this time I connected tit with is82.....

http://www.history.com/shows/irt-deadli ... vs-bolivia

So, the challenge I have given thyself is this:

Recreate this treacherous road as best I can to make an actual, existing course:)

Alas, the Stratos(race car) will not be the main vehicle in this epic challenge. I would be in need of a large truck(hell, even a school bus) to keep the thrill high. Of course, the Stratos(race car) would be available upon completion of the map...

I will gladly except any and all assistance in this endeavor!! Thoughts, suggestions and comments are of course welcome, and appreciated!!
GoodDayToDie!!

Re: Help w/ Extracting Heightmaps from Google Earth, etc

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

*]*
O< I said GOODDAY SIR!!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Google - how to extract heightmap info from google earth

Second link for me is a tutorial although it seems to reference another source rather than Google.. but whatever delivers the goods I guess :)

I have not done it before so I can't really help. Just aware that its possible.

very interested to see how you get on though. If you get that far then for sure people/I will help out making some rock/cliff faces for the road to make it look nice.
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Thanks foOk,

At this point, no progress has been made and it's looking slimmer as the days go by.