Cloud system successfully revived!

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
cajunwolf

Re: Cloud system successfully revived!

Post by cajunwolf »

Wow, that's pretty Kewl. I have yet to play with BFH. I see you have the snow effect working in that map. Take a look at the ice AudioGod did in Tundra, I think you will find it interesting too.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

I'll take a look at the ice mesh used in that tundra map. Also bots get along just fine with my ice mesh. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Ok here's what I can see after looking at it in max:

I added a dummy object to indicate the zero position for the object (center of mass basically). As you can see it's elevated so was likely customized for that map. Best thing to do is to set the plane mesh to zero position and reduce the size of it's bounding box (bbox for short). I noticed the mesh also has no texture assigned to it. So I guess it was designed to be invisible?

As for how the bots will behave on it. Since it's going to be over water, you may need to enable the navel property for the ai template for the soldier object. Otherwise bots while on foot will walk over the ice then when they see an enemy, they will stand in place like they will fire on them, but never do.

Also the ice object would need an ai template with the ITScaleRender type enabled so that bots won't fall through it when players are far away from them/not watching them. But I'm sure you will be aware of that. :P
ImageImageImage
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Yep the map in Question was DCX Artica, and I think you nailed the problem with the bounding box thing. That was exactly the problem because the moment you got near the ice object it was serious lag city. The ai just would stall and crash.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Sweet! I bet the height is set to the water level in the map which is 35 (all you would have to do is set it on the bottom). Yes it is transparent and the water shows through it, animation stopped so it looks great. It's not pathed in that map and yes I have had the ITScaleRender thing bite me in the but many times. :D I didn't think about the naval property though and your right about that one. What are it's overall dimensions, in relation to map scale?

Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Here's a wireframe of my ice mesh used on PP Winter"

I shrunk the BB box to include only the center mesh. Also note that the ice mesh has many more polygons then the ice mesh used on tundra. Since I went through the trouble of optimizing it not to include areas underground. I had also made the surface of it uneven (like real ice) and added in cracks/fissures to make it more realistic. :P

So for the tundra ice sheet mesh I would say making the BB box about a fourth the size it is now and that should be enough. You could also just make it 1x1 meters in size. Not entirely sure how small it needs to be.

Making a BBbox that is too small is typically only going to result in negative results if done to a vehicle or projectile as the bbox could effect the inertia of the object. Since this one is stationary, making the BB box too small shouldn't harm anything.

As for the size of it? Which one. The tundra ice sheet or the PP icesheet? The icesheet I made I think is about a fourth the size of the total area of the map. I would happen to guess it's slightly smaller then the tundra ice sheet.

I imported both at the same scale and this shows how large they are in relation to each other:

The tundra icesheet is slightly larger and one vertex extends out to 300+ meters. So that is roughly the size it covers. Around 300 to 400 meters in size.

Ok now that I recall correctly my PP icesheet took up an area about almost half the size of the map. Half the map is land the rest was water. I do recall my ice sheet extended past the combat area on one edge. So it's slightly less then half the total size of my map.

Also seen is the major difference in detail between the two.. My collision mesh for my ice sheet is basically a clone of the lod mesh. So it's clear it's not always the collision mesh that can cause lag. Sometimes simply the size of the object results in a bounding box that is too large. :P
ImageImageImage
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

I haven't tested tundras ice sheet with bots yet as they don't go near it, but I might make a test pathmap that sends them across it for kicks and giggles to see what happens. I notice no lag when near it myself. I am including three screens of what it looks like in game.
image one from bank
image one from bank
from the air ...
from the air ...
.. and a tank setting on it
.. and a tank setting on it