Having issues texturing custom meshes

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Diamondback

Having issues texturing custom meshes

Post by Diamondback »

Ok so, recently I've been browsing through the vast model library on Turbosquid...

Then I picked a couple of free models to test on my map. Fired up Autodesk 3ds Max 2011, opened the downloaded Max projects, and with the Battlefield Tools (of which I downloaded from Senshi's fix) exported the meshes, making sure to rename them to "lod01" first and use the "Auto-Generate LOD's" and the "Use Objects Name" options. Imported the exported SM meshes and reexported them again to choose the Collision Meshes. Packed the necessary files up, loaded up my map, and what do I see? The model with the blank, generic texture (gray). It has a collision and responds to bullet impacts, however no texture at all.

All the models I have downloaded from Turbosquid came with texture files, which I made sure to convert to DDS in order to see the textures in game. However, after having resized most maps to a power of 2 before converting them to DDS (I'm using a special website to do this), the game seems to ignore them. The funny thing about this is the textures are displayed perfectly in Editor42! Once in the game though, they vanish for some odd reason.

My theory is I'm not converting the maps (which mostly come in JPG format) to the right DDS format. This website: http://online-converting.com/image/convert2dds/ gives me the option, as you can see, to convert the maps to DXT1, DXT2, DXT3 and DXT4, as well as other formats. I'm pretty sure DXT1 is the preferred DDS format for the game however I'm not 100% sure. Could someone point out what is the correct surface format to use to convert my maps to DDS?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Classical Modder
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Django

Re: Having issues texturing custom meshes

Post by Django »

Seems that your texture paths dont fit. Check your rs-file texture paths and the location of the corresponding texture in your texture.rfa. Are you sure you packed your texture.rfa a new including your new model textures? Cause for editor42 you seem to got it in the unpacked texture folder.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

The texture paths are all ok, I think it's the texture file itself that's causing a problem.
Sarge31FR

Post by Sarge31FR »

gray textures ?

Sounds like you saved the .dds files without mipmaps ! For textures without alpha channels you use DXT1 (no alpha) and for textures with alpha channel you save them as DXT3. And remember to tick the mipmaps option.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Sarge31FR wrote:gray textures ?

Sounds like you saved the .dds files without mipmaps ! For textures without alpha channels you use DXT1 (no alpha) and for textures with alpha channel you save them as DXT3. And remember to tick the mipmaps option.
Thanks man, the texture now appears in the game flawlessly!