Damage System II

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Damage System II

Post by =ArA=DeathFromAbove »

Im working on the BRDM missile damage system.

It appears the dummy missile itself is a PCO and not projectile. I am trying to create a new material number for the PCO (missile) so that I can change the damage SSM the missile has on other PCOs like the uh1assault.

I am assuming this is set up in the damage armor section in game.rfa.

I have tried the active command on the BRDMmissile with the damagemod command but that hasnt changed the explosive damage to other PCOs ie. huey.

Has anyone looked at this or something similar?
N!tro

Re: Damage System II

Post by N!tro »

I guess you want less damage as this missile can blow anything up.
BRDMMissile is a air vehicle you can control just like a plane and used for ramming...
I guess you've tried tweaking this:

Code: Select all

ObjectTemplate.active BRDMMissile
ObjectTemplate.explosionRadius X
ObjectTemplate.explosionDamage X
BRDMMissile's Object.con says material 60 but it's not.
Its real material is 51 that you can see if you edit ve_brdm_misslefly_m1.sm with 3dsmax.
It has one collision mesh COL_01, select it with editable mesh menu, it says 51, change the number to an unused one, export the file with same name ve_brdm_misslefly_m1.sm in a folder you created:
i.e Fall_of_Saigon/standardMesh
Then set the codes for the new material...
This meshes' material story works SSM.
If the material is coded right (+ missile speedmod setting), the missile will just bounce on other PCOs causing just enough collision damage you expect it to do and taking itself a few or no damage from the other object so it will not explode on direct collision.
The tough part is a good coding att/def Group for this new material as the missile has 5 hitpoints only.

You can start tweaking material 51 and see what happens but then tanks will be affected so i recommand you make a new mat.
If you don't have 3dsmax i can make that mat change for you but you'll have to code the material (just tell me a number)
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

It's not really the material system that defines how much damage a PCO does on another PCO during a collision but something else entirely.

There is a setting you can use to change the amount of damage done from a PCO to PCO collision: (also note this code is used on the SA-3 guided missile as well, so look at that as an example)

ObjectTemplate.damageMod 1
When left undefined, the default is 1. Increase or lower the number to change the amount of damage the missile PCO does to another PCO.

(this code line goes on the missile PCO)

This should be server side as well but I have not tested that.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
freddy

Post by freddy »

Apache Thunder wrote:

ObjectTemplate.damageMod 1
totally forgot about this piece of code, will test it ssm and see how it works out :)

edit: code in place, will see how it works next map reload :)
N!tro

Post by N!tro »

Didn't know that code...Nice one, Just tested and it works SSM
I gave 10 to a jeep: low speed bumping and it destroys other vehicles easy.
DeathFromAbove, you got to try to lower damageMod and see what happens with BRDM missile.
freddy

Post by freddy »

confirmed works fine ssm in bf42 to
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Thanks fellas for the input.

I did start out looking to change the explosive radius and force as suggested, and unfortunately that did not produce the desired result.

Then I saw Apache's code on the damagemod from ssm.com and tried that and it did not seem to make any difference to the BRDM impact on the huey. I even put it at zero and did not see any apparent change.

code is:

ObjectTemplate.active BRDMMissile
ObjectTemplate.damageMod 0.00000001
My test was simply flying the missile into a huey and it caused instant destruction. Not sure why it works on other PCOs but not the BRDM Missile.

I think Nitro's way is where I was heading. I am assuming that in the game.rfa we are looking at a material code in the armor section not damage section right?

I have 3DSMax, and may need a little assistance just on seeing these things in max. I know how to see the COL messhes, but materials not so sure to see the 51.

Ill go with setting up material 550 for this. Thanks Nitro for your help on the damage system.
N!tro

Post by N!tro »

That's done with editable mesh menu:
I know the "howto" but didn't go further than making an invincible logtrap stick and your missile story by replacing material 51 with the plane one so it was affected by bullets.
Just means it works server side 8-)
I attached the file you have to extract in your map patch folder
Attachments
BRDM_missile.rar
Material 550 "map folder"\standardMesh\ve_brdm_misslefly_m1.sm
(683 Bytes) Downloaded 709 times
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Very helpful thanks guys.

I was able to change the armor and damage materials and now my minigun has a ton of kick server side which it should.

So much can be done with this.

I am going to look into changing armor etc. to see whether its possible for planes to pass right through helos and prevent rams.