Transparent roadbed

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Diamondback

Transparent roadbed

Post by Diamondback »

I am trying to make the roadbed of the railroad objects in BF1942 transparent for my mod, but all I can see in Battlecraft is some black roadbed:

As you can see in the image, the part below the straight railroad object should be transparent, but Battlecraft displays the color as black. Testing the map also shows a black roadbed.

Here is what I have done to try to generate the transparent roadbed:

1) Open the Rail_Base_I.dds object from vanilla BF with GIMP 2.10
2) Filled the part of the image (the roadbed) I wanted transparent with a black color, then added an alpha channel to make that part of the image transparent (Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel)
3) Added the "Color to Alpha" effect on the black part of the image (Layer > Transparency > Color to Alpha)
4) Saved the image, then exported it as a DDS with the same dimensions (256x256 pi) and following settings: Compression = BCI / DXTI; Mipmaps: use existing mipmaps; all other settings left default)
5) Copied the new Rail_Base_I.dds image with the transparent roadbed to my texture folder, packed it with winRFA to my mod Archives, then fired up BC

Has anyone used GIMP to manipulate DDS files from BF1942, most importantly, to make transparent textures (with an alpha channel). If so, would anyone know the right export settings from GIMP to export as a DDS image with transparency? Thank you.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
GoodDayToDie!!

Re: Transparent roadbed

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Hi Diamondback,

Try posting this to the is82.com forums. If you're lucky, you might get a faster response.

Cheers
Diamondback

Re: Transparent roadbed

Post by Diamondback »

Thanks GD2D, ziba was able to make a new model of the railroad tracks minus the roadbed, which is even better, since now the collision LODs associated with the roadbed part of the railroad objects are now gone. I can post the tracks minus the roadbeds here upon request.
See my Strasbourg map project here.