BF2's commander role... how much of it could be replicated in BF1942?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Diamondback

BF2's commander role... how much of it could be replicated in BF1942?

Post by Diamondback »

Hi all,

As the title says, I am trying to figure out how much of BF2's commander role could be replicated in BF1942.

What I am really interested in is if it would be possible at all to provide supplies or artillery strikes by clicking on an area of the minimap.

The minimap area that is clicked would trigger a command that would spawn supplies or an artillery strike in that area.

It's already possible to use a command, like !spawn to spawn PCOs in certain locations in a map. I'd just like such commands to be mapped to an actual map of the level, so that clicking on an area of the map triggers the spawn of vehicles, supplies or a missile strike for example.

Any thoughts?
See my Strasbourg map project here.
al13326

Re: BF2's commander role... how much of it could be replicated in BF1942?

Post by al13326 »

IIRC, there's an attempt by a BG42 developer back then of doing such coding when looking at binoculars, then pressing the LMB or similar assigned key by the user, an autonomous artillery barrage occurs a few seconds after executing that command.

He also posted a video of that demonstration in Photobucket more than a decade and a half ago.

Sadly, that s****y image hosting website had changed their ToS in 2017, and the account as well as the video are no longer there... :(
"My God, there were airplanes all over the sky, and most of them had red meatballs on their wings!"

1st Lt. James "Zeke" E. Swett; VMF-221, USMC
April 7, 1943
Diamondback

Re: BF2's commander role... how much of it could be replicated in BF1942?

Post by Diamondback »

Yes the binoculars that fire a missile strike. I had that code working a few years back, but this is not what I’m looking for.

What I need is the ability to do this while looking at the mini-map and picking a spot in it. I’m sure there’s a way to do this with the artillery camera.
See my Strasbourg map project here.