Cant have envmap on a lightmapped object..?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
fo0k

Cant have envmap on a lightmapped object..?

Post by fo0k »

Unwrapped my building to be lightmap ready and all the pretty windows with alpha layer dont show envmap.. exported the model again without lightmap channel and they work :(

One or the other? i was looking forward to a bit of lightmap shading the envmap for effect..
Apache Thunder

Re: Cant have envmap on a lightmapped object..?

Post by Apache Thunder »

As I recall the windows in Bashrah Nights map were part of a lightmapped building and the envmaps seem to work fine on those.....Perhaps try deleting the vertexes for the windows from the channel 3 uvmap? I found that not all of the object has to be uvmapped for the lightmapping. Though perhaps 3DSMax or other app you used to do the uvmapping somehow screwed up a setting in the RS files? Check out the windows in Basrah Nights map as they may reveal how to do it.

Perhaps the envmaps won't work until the object is actually lightmapped?

Another interesting tidbit, the game's engine considers the envmap RCM file to be a texture. I have successfully made a mesh use the envmap as it's texture. The resulting texture is a tiling of all the DDS files the rcm file calls. It doesn't really behave like a envmap when done in this way. But could prove useful for other things?
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

yeah thats true in Basra isnt it.. hmm Ill check it out. I did notice one of the original objects in Interstate, An airport tower which had the glass model seperate.. never understood why (and it never ended up with lightmaps anyway!) but perhaps this was the logic behind it.

If I cant make it happen then having glass seperate is not a big issue.

the rcm file.. that is interesting.. cant think of a use yet.. :)
reegad

Post by reegad »

fo0k wrote:yeah thats true in Basra isnt it.. hmm Ill check it out. I did notice one of the original objects in Interstate, An airport tower which had the glass model seperate.. never understood why (and it never ended up with lightmaps anyway!) but perhaps this was the logic behind it.

If I cant make it happen then having glass seperate is not a big issue.

the rcm file.. that is interesting.. cant think of a use yet.. :)

Maybe a little late but the airport tower you are referring to consists of 2 objects added together.
The main mesh is lightmapped, the window mesh is not.