gamespy-technology-shutdown-date

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
duffman

Re: gamespy-technology-shutdown-date

Post by duffman »

I have had a quick look under the hood, and looks like 2 ways that it could be done.

Basically replicate the protocol that BF1942 uses to talk to master.gamespy.com, and setup a server on the net to do it. This would involve either patching the bf1942.exe (basically write a new url in there, this would be what EA games would have to do if they are gone fix it). Alternative is that the users have to add an entry to their hosts file to point the DNS for this server to a different IP (messy).

Initially packet sniffing suggest a relatively simple protocol to fetch the list, however if people are gone be able to publish their servers on to the list its a bit more work (more protocol features to create, and database). Luigi Auriemma has done a lot of RE already http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers.htm in regards to Gamespy, however it looks like the initial protocol for Battlefield 1942 is a little bit different.

The other way of doing it is to find a way to distribute the ServerList.dat file that is stored Settings\Profile in Battlefield folder. This file contains the list of servers that was fetched from the master previously; tests show that if it can not contact the master it will still use the list. I guess it gets abit messy here as well, the list is a binary file that has to be generated from somewhere, and then have an "agent" installed that fetches and updates your Battlefield folder (or you download it manually).

Realistically the first option is the way to go, and a patch for the exe has to be downloadable for people to be able to play online (fetch the game server list). Unless gamespy gives up the domain name master.gamespy.com then all the games using it are doomed unless the individual game studios release a patch for their game...
freddy

Post by freddy »

You nailed it there. The essence of this i guess, is that anyone new to the game will see a empty serverlist and therefore assume there are no servers left to play in.

Also anyone that wants to start a new server is pretty much screwed by this.
mistamontiel

Post by mistamontiel »

GS HAS to give up the domina name to someone else.. whatever would I do with no Turok 2 :{
Denny

Post by Denny »

Is there something could be done, patch or something? Otherwise public server will die, public servers rely on the 'nubs' that probably search for server in ingame browser..
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

bump..

any more news / thoughts / contingency for this?

do we offer to take on the contract here?
freddy

Post by freddy »

Offer them a bunch of money to keep the server going? If i got it right EA did not renew the contract with them, the thing is i have no idea what kind of sums is involved or how much needed even to get a response out of them guys.

Would need to set up a fund with paypal donate and such, and somebody that could make the contacts and supervise the whole thing.

I dont think they will let go of the domain name atleast not for cheap.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

freddy wrote:Offer them a bunch of money to keep the server going? If i got it right EA did not renew the contract with them, the thing is i have no idea what kind of sums is involved or how much needed even to get a response out of them guys.

Would need to set up a fund with paypal donate and such, and somebody that could make the contacts and supervise the whole thing.

There's no need for all this really. Some people over at the SiMPLE community already created a backup master server as you can see in this topic: http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2468

Plus May 31st is apparently not the last day the server list will be viewable. It has been extended to June 30th, 2014. Origin won't support a free BF1942 download after that date as well.

Source: http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Classical Modder wrote:Origin won't support a free BF1942 download after that date as well.
That sucks. Whoever doesn't have it, just PM me and I can hook you up.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
freddy

Post by freddy »

Classical Modder wrote:
freddy wrote:Offer them a bunch of money to keep the server going? If i got it right EA did not renew the contract with them, the thing is i have no idea what kind of sums is involved or how much needed even to get a response out of them guys.

There's no need for all this really. Some people over at the SiMPLE community already created a backup master server as you can see in this topic: http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2468

Plus May 31st is apparently not the last day the server list will be viewable. It has been extended to June 30th, 2014. Origin won't support a free BF1942 download after that date as well.

Source: http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
Yes i know about that project and the guy thats working on it and its great and all

The thing is this isnt a problem for the old bf pros, they know how to connect or check out servers, i havent really used the ingame browser for years except to check if my servers shows up.

The problem is the players that doesnt know about this and just think the game is dead, its about the same thing as all the nice mods and maps that are out there and still almost nobody download and play them.
s[sk]

Post by s[sk] »

freddy wrote:The thing is this isnt a problem for the old bf pros, they know how to connect or check out servers, i havent really used the ingame browser for years except to check if my servers shows up.

The problem is the players that doesnt know about this and just think the game is dead, its about the same thing as all the nice mods and maps that are out there and still almost nobody download and play them.
exactly

anyway, if anyone wants to give it a try, info here

http://forum.bf1942.sk/gamespy

EDIT: changed url
Last edited by s[sk] on Tue May 13, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.