BF1942 Server Crash New Exploit!

Grabbi

Re: BF1942 Server Crash New Exploit!

Post by Grabbi »

Just got informed by our partner community NETORN, that the exploit is beeing used there atm to crash their server constantly.
Seems hacker is checking where he still can uses his exploit and which servers hasn t been patched yet.

Greetz

Grabbi
[url=bf1942://85.214.226.169:14567]Image[/url]
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Hi All

We have just been hit by this exploit on the DAWG PWND server, server is currently down now!!!
Have tried to install the fix but the server would not run with the new files, indexed.static and dynamic, and just crashed as soon as we started it.

Have we applied them incorrectly is my first question, the answer will probably be "of course" and my second question is ....

Must we now run the server with Content Check active?

Some of us like to use the Merciless Mod but this will not run when Content Check is on and we get a Data Differs error

Any help as always greatly appreciated

DinkW :?
tuia

Post by tuia »

Hi,

You must overwrite the bf1942_lnxded.static and bf1942_lnxded.dynamic files with the patched files on the bf1942_lnxded-1.61-patched.tar.gz package, assuming you will run a version 1.61 server on Linux. The procedure is exactly the same as when you upgrade to version 1.61 with the bf1942-update-1.61.tar.gz.
You don't need to run with Content Check enabled. The patch introduced some subtle changes in the server code, which don't interfere with anything. Those changes are somewhat explained in the previous posts.
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Thanks Tuia

The problem I have is that the server is in New York and managed by someone else so I do not have direct access to it apart from the remote management tool.
I sent your file to the main administrator and he tried it but thats when it crashed out, :( I am now building a duplicate server so that we can test it again and get it right next time. :oops:
Many thanks for all of your hard work and efforts, thanks to you all BF1942 lives to fight another day :D

Best

DinkW
tuia

Post by tuia »

I tested again and the files work fine. Maybe, it crashed because he tried to run the .dynamic file, he should run the .static executable file, instead. Edit the start.sh script and remove the references to the dynamically linked binary (lines 24,25,28-31), then it will always run the .static executable.
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Could you explain?

How do you edit the file?

Forgive my ignorance but I am a Windows and MAC user and not really very conversant with this strange thing called "Linux" :?

I am assuming there must be a tool for opening and editing the file or do I simply open it within Terminal, like I said mainly Windows and MAC lol.
I have a Windows based server that I run to test maps etc and had no trouble at all patching that one and the fix on that works a treat. 8-)

Thanks for spending the time :)

DinkW
tuia

Post by tuia »

You can open the start.sh script with any text editor and remove those lines. Remember that in Linux, filenames are case sensitive, so you should lower case all your BF1942 files, for example, your levels directory, which has the map files. That can be a cause for the server crashing, if the maps are not in lower case. There is a script in the bf1942 directory, called fixinstall.sh, which will recursively lower case all files there. Open Terminal, change to your bf1942 directory and type: ./fixinstall.sh -v
Check this page for further info on running a BF1942 server in Linux: http://sysops.ie/blog/2011/03/22/instal ... -on-linux/
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Brilliant and thanks again for all your help Tuia I will give that a go later today.

Yes I am aware of the lower case thing with linux and the ./fixinstall.sh from within terminal but I still consider myself to be a complete noob with linux as a server system, although I have heard that is better than running them on windows but I tend to stick to what I know.....maybe I should get stuck into it a bit more.

I will post back with the results

Many thanks again

DinkW :)
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Hi Tuia

It worked like a charm :D

I have patched our test server, DAWG PWND 2, and all is working fine.
I will send the insturctions to our main administrator so that he can do the same to our main server DAWG PWND.

Many thanks again for all your hard work.

Best

DinkW
tuia

Battlefield 1942 v1.612 Windows server patched

Post by tuia »

EA released yesterday Battlefield 1942 as a free digital download on Origin. They included a Windows dedicated server file, so anyone can run their own dedicated server. However, EA did not do their homework, the new server version can be remotely crashed by commands, such as, game.setTeam and game.createLocalPlayer. The patched server file is fixed against those 2 exploits: http://team-simple.org/download/BF1942_ ... atched.zip