Determining the cause of server crashes

jrivett

Determining the cause of server crashes

Post by jrivett »

Are there any tools or guidelines for identifying the cause of BF1942 server crashes?

The crashes I observe on my server are intermittent. There doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern to them.

The server runs a version of the BF1942 executable that's been patched with a few crash-prevention tweaks provided by tuia and others, and seems to be immune to the crash exploits those tweaks were designed for.

The crashes I'm seeing don't seem to be intentional. They don't seem to be associated with any specific maps. It's a co-op server, so it always has a load of bots running around.

On my BF2 (FH2) server, crashes are much more common, partly because it's a co-op server, and bots sometimes do things that cause crashes. Players can also do specific things, such as exiting a vehicle in rough terrian, that can lead to crashes. The use of bots generally seems to increase the likelihood of crashes. I've been assuming that BF1942 is similar.

Another possible source of the crashes is the server-side modifications we've made to all the maps (original, RtR, and SW). These mods are mostly about swapping out units for different units, and changing the limits on units. But all of these mods have been tested and work as expected, and don't cause crashes in testing.

The server crashes about once a day, but on some days it will crash several times. Again, there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern. It may be that disgruntled players are doing it, but there are usually other indicators when that happens (like they announce they are going to crash the server).

So, any ideas? If some or all of them are being caused by something I can fix, I'd like to fix them.
davidson02

Re: Determining the cause of server crashes

Post by davidson02 »

What's up? Any update about this concern?
drywall finishing in Marietta