Mirror, mirror.....

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Psycho

Mirror, mirror.....

Post by Psycho »

Hello, again I have a question.

Im using the JU88 from BoB, and of some reason I started BoB to check something. And noticed that the skin on the Ju88 reflects the environment a little bit. Just enough to make it look like metal.

But when using the exact same object in my map there are no reflection. I have looked around in the rs files, and a lots of con files.

Am I right when beliving its a map setting? In that case, wich one is it I have to change?

I have searched the forum and other places, but its hard to get result when I don't even know what that reflective effect is called.
I want to live in a created universe. Virtual reality, here I come.
hipnox

Re: Mirror, mirror.....

Post by hipnox »

The reflections on metallic vehicles is done via a texture file called the environment map. this is not a vehicle textures but a part of the map itself. each map has its own envmap.

i believe this environment file is missing in your map. Your envmap should be in the /textures/ folder inside the MAPNAME.rfa file, and then declared in your init.con file

Battleaxe Example:

in the init.con

Code: Select all

ShaderManager.setTextureParam envmap bf1942\levels\Battleaxe\Textures\ENVMAP_G_.rcm

if you cant/wont make a custom envmap (dont know how to do it) you can burrow one from another map. Try to use one that's similar to yours (El alamein uses a desert envamp)
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

hipnox wrote:The reflections on metallic vehicles is done via a texture file called the environment map. this is not a vehicle textures but a part of the map itself. each map has its own envmap.

i believe this environment file is missing in your map. Your envmap should be in the /textures/ folder inside the MAPNAME.rfa file, and then declared in your init.con file

Battleaxe Example:

in the init.con

ShaderManager.setTextureParam envmap bf1942\levels\Battleaxe\Textures\ENVMAP_G_.rcm

if you cant/wont make a custom envmap (dont know how to do it) you can burrow one from another map. Try to use one that's similar to yours (El alamein uses a desert envamp)
I understand, and i also need the dds files I see now... Hmm should be easy make my own it seems. Wonder how you adjust the strength of the reflections though.
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

I had deleted them earlier. So I copied the files from an older version of my map and checked that the init.con hade the path in it.

But it still not working. These dds files are created when you do one of the renderings of the map if I understand correctly?

Maybe I must render shadows and stuff again?

So the question is if I have to generate even the material map?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

in your maps init.con try changing the path for the envmap to an already existing ENVMAP_G_.rcm on in an original map

so change

ShaderManager.setTextureParam envmap bf1942\levels\psycho_epic_map\Textures\ENVMAP_G_.rcm
to

for example... and see if it works.

WinRFA (or it seems could be notepad as Apache has mentioned) seems to corrupt the envmap_G_.rcm file which is why it does not work in game

I usually just pick an existing ENVMAP_G_.rcm from an original map that has a similar feel to my custom map.. thats the easiest solution.

Battlecraft also screws up the image placement of the envmap rcm file so you end up seeing sky where you should see ground and vice versa.
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

AHA, then I understand why it worked in the beginning when I started to make my map, I used Battlecraft in the begining. Then when I started to use ed42 I also started to use winrfa... changing the path to another map now.

Edit: crap, something more must be missing...
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

fo0k wrote:WinRFA (or it seems could be notepad as Apache has mentioned) seems to corrupt the envmap_G_.rcm file which is why it does not work in game
Another reason, out of the hundreds of reasons, why I prefer BGA over everything else.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

Swaffy wrote:
fo0k wrote:WinRFA (or it seems could be notepad as Apache has mentioned) seems to corrupt the envmap_G_.rcm file which is why it does not work in game
Another reason, out of the hundreds of reasons, why I prefer BGA over everything else.
BGA... no one told me:).. DL now..
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

You are right, we somehow forgot to add the BGA to the Modding Tools list. I will fix that right now!
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

So, tried first to swap the files as said before. Then tried to change the path in the init.con. But it won't work. So what step do I have to do? What made the dds files from the beginning?