Last Exile anyone?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
hipnox

Last Exile anyone?

Post by hipnox »

I don't know if this is the correct place to post work in progress mods, but here's a mod i've been working on.

Its an aerial combat mod inspired in the Last Exile anime series.

Currently there's only one Vanship (in three different colors ) and an Anatoray Battleship. Will probably make the Silvana, the Urbanus and the Disith battleships

Swaffy

Re: Last Exile anyone?

Post by Swaffy »

That looks interesting. That's some really nice modelling work, is that your work?

Also, me thinks the mod has great potential.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Yeah great looking models so far.. one to watch :)
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

A very interesting and original setting (I just LOVE Steampunk!!!).

Very good modeling quality. I'd be interested in the polycount of the models, though :) .

And last but not least a fairly good texturing job.

What's not to like? :)

Really, you've done a lot more work than most of the other modders ever achieve, it takes a lot of willpower to actually pull this kind of thing off (especially if learning from scratch). Kudos for that! I can't even begin to count the number of models I have started working on and then abandoned once it got trickier or Real Life forced me to take a break, only to never begin work on it again... :oops:
hipnox

Post by hipnox »

Thank you for your support.

I used to mod a few years back, but it was only .con editing and a few menu graphics. This is my first time making models and textures. There's still a lot of things i don't quite understand. For Example, bf appears to automatically calculate a moment of inertia for each vehicle based on its geometry (I don't know if its the LOD or the Collision box) so essentially whenever i make a modification to a vehicle that drastically changes its dimensions, i have to re-calibrate the lifts on rudders and wings flaps. Kinda weird.

The mod is on a very infant stage. There's a lot of things i want to add (fog, clouds, etc.) but don't know how to and didn't make the low poly and wreckage models yet. I'll ask around here when the time comes. Production is sporadic since it's just me doing it.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

an option to avoid constantly changing the physics of the object when mesh changes are made is to have the main mesh as an invisible, simple mesh, approx the same size/shape as your visible model...
then add the visible mesh as a seperate template. you can still have the collision physics for the visible mesh but all other world physics will look to the main, invisible (just give it a transparent texture) mesh.

I have used this method for a few car race maps.. where I want everyone to have exactly the same performance car.. but to have several similar bodies to mix it up a bit.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

That can actually help me with the speedboat issue I was having a while back.
hipnox

Post by hipnox »

Will try that, thanks.

Work in progress Disith battleship

I took the liberty to change the rotation of the bottom turrets to allow broadside battles with Anatoray vessels

I'm getting a strange result with the transparent, two-faced materials like the scaffolds and structures in the front part of the ship. For some reason there's like a black outline around the edges, which shouldn't be there. in fact, it disappears when you get near it. I don't know what's causing that.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

The black lines are because of the mipmaps of the image files. Load them up in Photoshop or some other image editing program and look at the individual mipmaps. They are black because the Alpha layer is wider than the wanted image. It is showing the black area around the colored parts.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

A common cause for this is if you saved the texture in a 1bit alpha DDS. Pick a DDS format that allows for a 8bit alpha channel (thus allowing "smooth" transparency) and the problem should disappear. Or manually correct the alpha layer as suggested by swaffy.