In-Game Map: Show only part of level?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Swaffy

In-Game Map: Show only part of level?

Post by Swaffy »

I took the vanilla map Battleaxe and completely remade the map. I made a small handgun map out of it.

Now I have a small rectangle (the play area) in the middle of a giant desert. It is also like this on the minimap/ingame map.

How do I edit the settings for Editor 42 to generate a map of only the play area instead of the entire map?
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Senshi

Re: In-Game Map: Show only part of level?

Post by Senshi »

You can't. Ed42/BC42 always generate the full minimap. Then there's another engine-internal algorithm that calculates the "zoom" by checking the CombatArea boundary.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

take a look at Berlin for reference.. only uses a little bit of minimap. :D
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Yes, I realize my post was stupid, as my post refers to how it's done in BF2. In BF42 you assign the "active" regions manually, e.g. by a Tx offset. It's pretty easy, but there are some shortcomings.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

http://bfmods.com/mdt/scripting/Game/Pr ... tArea.html
I read there that the coordinates go from the bottom left to the top right.

So I just grab coordinates and pop them in the "game.setActiveCombatArea" code in the "init.con" file.

[hr]
Okay, I did that. I have a selected Combat Area, and I noticed my game symbols for the in-game map (flags and spawn point choices) are at the bottom left of the map. But how do I get my map to do that "zoom in" thing?

[Edit] Never mind what I said, I found this.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=980

[hr]
[Edit]

Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

You will need to edit the ingamemap dds file with a image editor to remove the unused areas. For example if you shrunk a 1024 sized combat area to 512, then you resize your 1024x1024 sized minimap to 512x512. (it will get more complicated if your mini map is larger or smaller, then you'll need to do some math to get the equivalent)

The game will not "zoom" an existing minimap. You'll either have to edit it with an image editor or try and get BC/ED42 to recognize the new combat area and regenerate the minimap.

When you crop the image to the new size I believe top left is center. But that may not be the case if you have the combat area in a different area of the minimap. If your minimap is the same size in pixels as the world size, then you can directly translate the pixels to combat area and location. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

BUMP

I'm stuck here as well! I'm looking to make a map the size of Berlin, but how can I achieve this? Using Battlecraft 1942? (I got Photoshop CS6, and the NVIDIA DDS plugin, if that helps)
Regards,

Skull Kid
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I did it using a lot of testing, quitting, editing, repeat.

Also, it has to be square and not rectangular.