Tutorials are missing

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Vilespring

Tutorials are missing

Post by Vilespring »

The appears to be no good tutorial on editing textures for BF 1942, textures on everything to weapon and vehicle icons. I would really appreciate a good tutorial for these so I could make my own custom vehicles stop looking like grey boxes.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
fo0k

Re: Tutorials are missing

Post by fo0k »

this question is very broad.

do you have any experience of using dds files / alpha channels? are you making new objects in max etc?
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Vilespring wrote:The appears to be no good tutorial on editing textures for BF 1942, textures on everything to weapon and vehicle icons. I would really appreciate a good tutorial for these so I could make my own custom vehicles stop looking like grey boxes.
You should look for the MDT backup website for Battlefield 1942, everything is explained in detail there. Simply google it.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Classical Modder wrote:
Vilespring wrote:The appears to be no good tutorial on editing textures for BF 1942, textures on everything to weapon and vehicle icons. I would really appreciate a good tutorial for these so I could make my own custom vehicles stop looking like grey boxes.
You should look for the MDT backup website for Battlefield 1942, everything is explained in detail there. Simply google it.

the MDT is hosted here too.. the link is at the top of this page.

not sure how much info it has on texturing though.. ? ...not that I'm saying it doesn't.
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

fo0k wrote:this question is very broad.

do you have any experience of using dds files / alpha channels? are you making new objects in max etc?
I'm making new objects in MAX, and I have no experience of using dds files / alpha channels.
fo0k wrote:
Classical Modder wrote:

the MDT is hosted here too.. the link is at the top of this page.

not sure how much info it has on texturing though.. ? ...not that I'm saying it doesn't.
I was a good boy and already did that, and the texture tutorial is crossed out. I clicked on it anyways, and got a dead page.
I also need some software, I saw GIMP with an addon can do it.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Senshi

Post by Senshi »

There's not really a lot of magic going into BF42 texturing. Create and paint a texture sheet, apply it with the BF shader material to your object in 3ds max and you're done...there are no "special" maps whatsoever you have to care about (bump, normal etc.).

The alpha layer (RGB + A) is a separate color channel that is used to define transparency of a pixel. This can range from white(255) = fully opaque to black(0) = fully transparent.

When done painting your texture in Gimp/Photoshop, make sure you have the nvidia dds plugins available so you can export into that format (saves on filespace and perfomance ingame). Use an appropiate dds format for your purposes. DXT1 usually suffices for simple 2D stuff, for PCO game objects you can also use DXT3 for slightly better visuals.
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

Well, I need stuff on set up of the things, and I'm using Gmax. I understood it, but I don't know what to do.