2 questions in 1: BF 3 style aircraft spawn/better flames

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Carnie The Clown

2 questions in 1: BF 3 style aircraft spawn/better flames

Post by Carnie The Clown »

Howdy folks! It's Carnie.

I have 2 things I need assistance on for Bf 1942. Well, 1 actually.

1. After playing Conquest on Armored Shield in Battlefield 3 yesterday (i know, i'm trying to make 1942 more like Bf 3), I came up with the idea of what they have in Conquest maps with the Gunship/Dropship. If you don't know what i mean, i'll explain:

On the Conquest maps for the Armored Kill and End Game expansion packs for Battlefield 3, there is 1 flag on the map with an airplane icon next to it. This symbolizes that the flag grants access to the powerful aircraft on the map. Whichever team has captured the flag on a map with the AC-130 gets the ability to have 2 team mates spawn into the Gunship and either use 1 of 2 weapons on board along with flares, or paradrop from the aircraft down to the map. Same goes for a map with the C-130, only there are no weapons aboard, and it's used for dropping an IFV down via parachute. The team remains in control of the vehicle until the enemy captures the flag and destroys the aircraft. Then after a certain amount of time, the Gunship/Dropship will respawn and be available to whichever team has control of the flag. The Gunship/Dropship is piloted by AI, meaning that the player doesn't actually fly the vehicle themself, and can focus on raining death below.

Anyways, I thought that this would be a neat idea that would probably be able to be implemented (for co-op, because I never play online). Does anyone know if this is possible? Because this would be really cool (or frightening, depending on which team you're on) to have a big aircraft circling around either a certain flag, or the entire map, constantly firing ammuntition down on enemy bots.

I was thinking about implementing this on Essen, Guadalcanal, Invasion of the Phillipines, or Kbely Airfield. This also gives both teams something to really fight for, other than some ordinary flag, and allows both teams to have a second chance to make a comeback if they can hold the flag. Seeing that Junker flying around the city of Essen when the Germans have control of the city square flag, or give the British another C-47 to make strafe runs back and forth over the city to drop troops over the other flags and maybe try firing down on the Germans with the machine gun mounted at the back. Or even better: copy BF3 and make one flag spawn a AC-130 (courtesy of VIlespring, thank you very much for the rip out of Desert Combat), and have it circle the entire island on Guadalcanal.

So is it possible? Have an aircraft tied to a flag, make it follow a fixed path instead of spawning down on the ground for manual takeoff, make it uncontrollable (to make sure it follows the path until it's destroyed), and make it so that the aircraft changes depending on which team has control of the flag?

All suggestions and help is apprectiated!

2. Can anyone suggest a texture update or something, so when the airplanes take major damage they get completely engulfed in flames? I just like the thought of a flaming bird flying around until it eventually crashes.

Thanks! :)

Carnie
Vilespring

Re: 2 questions in 1: BF 3 style aircraft spawn/better flame

Post by Vilespring »

Yes, my friend, it is possible. :D
1. I feel flattered :lol:
2. I have 2 ideas, and they both use this concept. The flag is in the middle, no? And you know how battle of the bulge, the windmill, only the allies get a light tank? well, have 2 spawners in each base, and one is for each team, so when it is under their control, their spawner is active. Now, these planes will be manual, but meh.
3. I think this would work, but how would the spawners work? Well, the 2 gunships that would be used, would have their engines disabled, and the hold in place true, so they would kinda hover like Lcvps on the ships. With the engine disabled, they cannot detach. So these planes are attached to a rotational bundle that is where you want it to circle. This bundle will endlessly rotate, kinda like the radar dishes, so the planes would buzz around it. There would be 2 problems, first one being, as I said, how will the spawners be assigned to a flag if they are on a rotational bundle. The second is very minor, but there would be no engine sounds.
4. about the plane fire ball, in Battle Group 42, planes go up in big fire balls, but I don't want to rip it, since the makers are very protective. I might, if you agree, like the King Tiger and AC-130, not to publicly release it.

P.S: how is armored assault? I'm thinking of getting it for my brother's birthday?
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Carnie The Clown

Vilespring wrote:Yes, my friend, it is possible. :D
1. I feel flattered :lol:
2. I have 2 ideas, and they both use this concept. The flag is in the middle, no? And you know how battle of the bulge, the windmill, only the allies get a light tank? well, have 2 spawners in each base, and one is for each team, so when it is under their control, their spawner is active. Now, these planes will be manual, but meh.
3. I think this would work, but how would the spawners work? Well, the 2 gunships that would be used, would have their engines disabled, and the hold in place true, so they would kinda hover like Lcvps on the ships. With the engine disabled, they cannot detach. So these planes are attached to a rotational bundle that is where you want it to circle. This bundle will endlessly rotate, kinda like the radar dishes, so the planes would buzz around it. There would be 2 problems, first one being, as I said, how will the spawners be assigned to a flag if they are on a rotational bundle. The second is very minor, but there would be no engine sounds.
4. about the plane fire ball, in Battle Group 42, planes go up in big fire balls, but I don't want to rip it, since the makers are very protective. I might, if you agree, like the King Tiger and AC-130, not to publicly release it.

P.S: how is armored assault? I'm thinking of getting it for my brother's birthday?
1. I'm glad to hear it :)
2. That's a neat idea, but i'd perfer your other idea since it involves rotating path following aircraft.
3. That's good. Don't really care about the no engine noise, even though it would be strange with no rotating props on the engines :lol: I'm not so certain about the spawners, and I don't know how to tp set up the rotating "path" for the plane either. Are there any special spawners? Because I remember playing on a Pacific ocean map, where an airplane spawn point was waaaaaaay out in the middle of the air out on the ocean, and it was resting on what seemed to be an invisible aircraft carrier. Maybe something like that would work.

4. That isn't all too important, but it would be nice. It's up to you. If they made it unrippable, then it's best just to leave it alone.

5. Armored Kill is great! By far my favourite expansion pack. It introduces a new gametype called Tank Superiority, where a single flag is placed in the center of the map, while each team composed of an MBT and the all new tank destroyers (basically IFVs with tank cannons) go head to head to control the center flag. It also adds the largest map ever made called Bandar Desert, and adds the dreaded Ac-130 Gunship using the same principle as stated above. (I think it's also in Rush, but in my opinion, and a lot of other people agree with me, it doesn't belong there, because it's ONLY available to the Attackers, making it so much easier for them to win.)
freddy

Post by freddy »

you can get the engine sounds by setting one of the engines to rocket, need to power down the engine alot so it cant break the holdobject code

you can addtemplate the soldierspawners from the flag directly to the plane/s, then set the "enter on spawn" true. when the flag turns allied the axis soldierspawn simply dissapeares from the plane and vice versa, the problem is if you have one plane for this and there still is enemy soldiers in it when the other team gets the flag
Carnie The Clown

freddy wrote:you can get the engine sounds by setting one of the engines to rocket, need to power down the engine alot so it cant break the holdobject code

you can addtemplate the soldierspawners from the flag directly to the plane/s, then set the "enter on spawn" true. when the flag turns allied the axis soldierspawn simply dissapeares from the plane and vice versa, the problem is if you have one plane for this and there still is enemy soldiers in it when the other team gets the flag
That's ok. In Battlefield 3, that's how it works. If the Russuain have the flag and the Americans are in the AC-130, the plane must be destroyed and repawn before the Russians can use it.
Thanks for the Suggestion. Where does the template go, and how does it look?
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

well, I say poke around tank code for info on rotational bundles. First thing I did was make my own vehicles. Well, more like combine them. very very first thing I did was make the German Flak 38 mobile, by putting on the tiger tank's chassis. (Thanks Swaffy :) ) You can also build things using the junk found in MOVE_FILES folder in the Objects.rfa. Well, anyways, here's the code to the radar dish,

Code: Select all

ObjectTemplate.create Bundle radarbun_M1
ObjectTemplate.geometry radarbun_M1
ObjectTemplate.setHasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.aiTemplate radarbun_M1
ObjectTemplate.loadSoundScript Sounds/Radarbun.ssc
rem ---------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate radarbun_tower_M1
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -0.004/4.75/0.116

ObjectTemplate.create RotationalBundle radarbun_tower_M1
ObjectTemplate.geometry radarbun_tow_M1
objectTemplate.loadSoundScript Sounds/Radarbun_tow.ssc
ObjectTemplate.setMinRotation 0/0/0
ObjectTemplate.setMaxRotation 0/0/0
ObjectTemplate.setMaxSpeed 110/0/0
ObjectTemplate.setAcceleration 10/0/0
ObjectTemplate.setContinousRotationSpeed 15/0/
You don't need a geometry in it, but it needs to follow the code close. you can change the constants to suit your needs. One little tip, a speed of 400 is one rotation in one second. That is way too fast for what you want, but it is useful to remember.

I'm gonna try it, then I'll come back.

NOTE: make it go counter clockwise, since the guns are on the left side. (negative acceleration)
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Carnie The Clown

Vilespring wrote:well, I say poke around tank code for info on rotational bundles. First thing I did was make my own vehicles. Well, more like combine them. very very first thing I did was make the German Flak 38 mobile, by putting on the tiger tank's chassis. (Thanks Swaffy :) ) You can also build things using the junk found in MOVE_FILES folder in the Objects.rfa. Well, anyways, here's the code to the radar dish,

ObjectTemplate.create Bundle radarbun_M1
ObjectTemplate.geometry radarbun_M1
ObjectTemplate.aiTemplate radarbun_M1
ObjectTemplate.loadSoundScript Sounds/Radarbun.ssc
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate radarbun_tower_M1
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -0.004/4.75/0.116

ObjectTemplate.create RotationalBundle radarbun_tower_M1
ObjectTemplate.geometry radarbun_tow_M1
objectTemplate.loadSoundScript Sounds/Radarbun_tow.ssc
ObjectTemplate.setMinRotation 0/0/0
ObjectTemplate.setMaxRotation 0/0/0
ObjectTemplate.setMaxSpeed 110/0/0
ObjectTemplate.setAcceleration 10/0/0
ObjectTemplate.setContinousRotationSpeed 15/0/
You don't need a geometry in it, but it needs to follow the code close. you can change the constants to suit your needs. One little tip, a speed of 400 is one rotation in one second. That is way too fast for what you want, but it is useful to remember.

I'm gonna try it, then I'll come back.

NOTE: make it go counter clockwise, since the guns are on the left side. (negative acceleration)
Woah... :shock:

You're kinda speaking waaay above my level of understanding. Where does this code go, and how do I implement it? I have Battlecraft 1942, and the mod kit.

Sorry. I am indeed a complete noob. :oops:
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

Well, this is my results after I tried it;
not very promising

as I said, play with tanks for a bit. :D
That is how I started my stuff, as I said before.
The code I posted was a reference to something, that you can use somethings in it, but not all.
When you want something done, and you don't know how, think of something you know in 1942. (or some mod you found) and see how thy did it. Like the spinning radar dish, I had no idea how to do it, so I just referenced it, and I put it up here to show you the reference. Also, I have a tiger tank with a gattling style barrels, so I referenced the miniguns in desert combat. I have a belt-fed rocket gun, and you can watch the rockets disappear as they are fired. I had no idea how that was done, so I thought, "the Katyusha has rockets that disappear as they are fired, so it has to be there." and sure enough, it was. Do you get my drift here?

P.S. the spinning airplanes is possible, I've see airplanes spinning in circles unmanned in Forgotten Hope.

EDIT: you appear to be online. I can walk you through on Gmail chat.

freddy

Post by freddy »

i made a post wheres theres a radarbun a while ago, maybe you can use it for references viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1611

basically you just place the radarbun and add stuff to it

ObjectTemplate.Active radarbun_tower_M1
ObjectTemplate.setContinousRotationSpeed 35/0/0

ObjectTemplate.Active radarbun_tower_M1
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate GatoDriverSoldierSpawn
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 170/-800/0
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate Sub7CDriverSoldierSpawn
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -170/-800/0
Carnie The Clown

Vilespring wrote:Well, this is my results after I tried it;
not very promising

as I said, play with tanks for a bit. :D
That is how I started my stuff, as I said before.
The code I posted was a reference to something, that you can use somethings in it, but not all.
When you want something done, and you don't know how, think of something you know in 1942. (or some mod you found) and see how thy did it. Like the spinning radar dish, I had no idea how to do it, so I just referenced it, and I put it up here to show you the reference. Also, I have a tiger tank with a gattling style barrels, so I referenced the miniguns in desert combat. I have a belt-fed rocket gun, and you can watch the rockets disappear as they are fired. I had no idea how that was done, so I thought, "the Katyusha has rockets that disappear as they are fired, so it has to be there." and sure enough, it was. Do you get my drift here?

P.S. the spinning airplanes is possible, I've see airplanes spinning in circles unmanned in Forgotten Hope.

EDIT: you appear to be online. I can walk you through on Gmail chat.
I understand, and I also got your chat request, but after I hit accept, nothing happened.