Need to add replacement sounds

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
andoodle

Need to add replacement sounds

Post by andoodle »

Excuse me, guys.

I have been trying to successfully replace the default firing sounds for most of the weapons in the game with the ones from Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive, and the Medal of Honor: Allied Assault expansions (for the No4 and its sniper variant), and whenever I feel that I have done so in a separate sound folder, I have packed them into "Sound_002.rfa", but whenever I play the game, I don't hear those firing sounds at all. What am I doing wrong? Note: I am doing this for my personal use only. Thanks.
Swaffy

Re: Need to add replacement sounds

Post by Swaffy »

The game uses two RFA files to hold the sound files: Sound.rfa and Sound_003.rfa. The game will load Sound.rfa first before loading the other, due to the number in the name. So your new RFA should be named Sound_005.rfa. Try that, let me kow what happens.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
andoodle

Post by andoodle »

Swaffy wrote:The game uses two RFA files to hold the sound files: Sound.rfa and Sound_003.rfa.
Are you certain about this? I am asking this because on my own computer, the game's archive folder has Sound_001.rfa instead of Sound_003. Also, I am using the Battlefield MDT's WinRFA for this job.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Sorry, you're right, it's Sound_001. Anyway, just make sure your new RFA file uses an odd number and is a higher number than the others. For example, Sound_999 should also work, but not Sound_888.
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

So THAT is why it didn't work for me?!?!?
It HAS to be an odd number? should all digits be odd, or just have it be an odd number?
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
andoodle

Post by andoodle »

Well, I have another thing to say about this. When I packed the replacement sounds into Sound_001.rfa (I copied the original version of that file into my hard drive's folder beforehand, just in case something went wrong), I then played the game, and after the intro movie, it went into the main menu, but when I selected a map, it said that a sound file, like "M1Garand_Fire_4.wav" and/or "k98LR.wav" is corrupt, and that the keyword 'data' is not found. I am using Audacity for converting them to 22kHz and 11kHZ versions. Anyway, what am I doing wrong?
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Hmm. Audacity, I remember using that program. I believe you have to set the playback rate (sampling) of the audio file when editing it (In Hz). The three choices are 44100 Hz, 22050, and 11025 Hz.

I use GoldWave, so it automatically saves them at 44100 Hz, PCM Signed 16-bit [Stereo/Mono].
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Swaffy, what you said about patch numbers for RFA files is false. Odd and even numbers work fine, as long as you patch your modification as a high number than the last patch that was made.

andoodle: When you modify the sound files make sure you convert them to the right frequencies first. Those frequencies are 11 kHz, 22 kHz and 44 kHz (so 3 frequencies instead of 1) like Swaffy pointed out.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
andoodle

Post by andoodle »

Well, I am converting them to the right frequencies, and those sound effects are from Call of Duty (for the M1 Garand, the Thompson M1, the BAR M1918, the MP40, the StG44, the MG42, and whatnot), Call of Duty: United Offensive, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (for the Walther P38), and the expansion packs for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I even converted some of them into stereo sounds, and then I played Battlefield 1942 via the debugger. However, the game still said the same thing from yesterday. There must be something wrong. If it's not the game's engine, then I don't know what is wrong. Note: I am doing this for my personal use only.

EDIT: I also have another question: How do you tell Battlefield 1942 to run "Sound_003.rfa?"
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Hmm. I have a possible alternative, if this works: If you are modding using your own mod instead of saving over the game's base files, you can just use files that you have in your mod using the same RFA file names. Because if you have your own mod, the game will load the vanilla files first then load your mod's files on top of it. But I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about using patch RFAs, I only learned (or thought I learned) some of it from the other people here on the forum.