BF1942 transmission gear ratios, for those who care

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
dudejo

BF1942 transmission gear ratios, for those who care

Post by dudejo »

Basically, those are reasonably accurate gear ratios for all of BF1942's available gear limits.

Personally, I find those ratios unsuitable for the kind of driving required by BF1942. Especially for tanks.
Attachments
BF1942 gear ratios.PNG
BF1942 gear ratios.PNG (4.44 KiB) Viewed 15917 times
Last edited by dudejo on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fo0k

Re: BF1942 transmission gear ratios, for those who care

Post by fo0k »

thanks, how do you go about working this out?
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

Lots of time in the debug exe, manually locking each gear and measuring the top speed.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Did you take into account material settings of the wheels? I've noticed alterations to the material for the wheels can have a big impact on top speed. Normally the material the wheels use is "undefined" That is material 36 (or 35/37, can't recall exactly right now) is what most if not all wheels in vanilla BF1942 use. Some mods like IS82 however define it as well as my Mario Kart mod. I don't know if it impacts your results, but it might be useful to know what the "default" values for friction and resistance are for a undefined material.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

Do the wheel materials include tank tracks? I got one of the materials to work with the Ho-Ha's front wheels, so far. I'll see what I find.

EDIT: There was a big enough difference in speed to warrant adjusting something in my personal calculators but the gear ratios, for the most part, are almost identical.
Sarge31FR

Post by Sarge31FR »

The material for all wheels is 37, including tank road wheels. Tracks don't have any COL mesh at all. The speed and behaviour of the vehicle is managed by the engine type in physics.con

ObjectTemplate.setEngineType c_ETCar = wheeled vehicles like cars, trucks etc.

ObjectTemplate.setEngineType c_ETTank = tracked vehicles like tanks and halftracks
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

Sarge31FR wrote:The material for all wheels is 37, including tank road wheels. Tracks don't have any COL mesh at all. The speed and behaviour of the vehicle is managed by the engine type in physics.con

ObjectTemplate.setEngineType c_ETCar = wheeled vehicles like cars, trucks etc.

ObjectTemplate.setEngineType c_ETTank = tracked vehicles like tanks and halftracks
I know that. What I'm wondering is if the tank wheels have a different material because Material ID 37 only works on cars and halftracks, as far as I can tell.
Sarge31FR

Post by Sarge31FR »

ALL wheels have 37, no exception. At least none that i know of. In vanilla and all the mods (including ours) i checked so far the mat was always 37.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

If the tests were driven all on the same surface with the same vehicle, the ratios should still be the same.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

so, I don't fully understand gear ratios (but Im sure google could help me out there..)

but I have never been able to make cars either go fast (say.. 150mph) or get them to accelerate in a realistic fashion / rate.

could anyone try to make a vehicle with properties of say.. a bugatti veyron?