Class Editor

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
rubberduck23

Re: Class Editor

Post by rubberduck23 »

Oh ok thanks ;)

Also, would it be ok for me to rename my edited "Objects.rfa" file to something like "ObjectsEdited.rfa" or whatever to distinguish it form the vanilla one?
Oh, and is there a practical way to rename the kits (e.g. "Scout" to "Sniper", "Assault" to "Heavy Assault" and "Medic" to "Scout") once I have edited them?

Regards
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

The best thing to do is set up a small mod with only the changes you have made. Because these edits are very etchy... for example changing the kit names means going into each map and changing the spawn kit names too.

If you want to make a "patch" RFA for the base game (instead of making a new mod), try renaming your custom Objects RFA to Objects_003.rfa.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
rubberduck23

Post by rubberduck23 »

Swaffy wrote:The best thing to do is set up a small mod with only the changes you have made. Because these edits are very etchy... for example changing the kit names means going into each map and changing the spawn kit names too.

If you want to make a "patch" RFA for the base game (instead of making a new mod), try renaming your custom Objects RFA to Objects_003.rfa.
Ok, what I am doing is basically a small "mod" (part of a bigger, general BF1942 project), as it is changing something to my liking rather than improving it.
I think I'll leave that re-naming of the kits for now, but is it literally as simple as renaming the kit and then changing the previous name of the kit in the map file to the new one?
Also, why specifically re-name it to "Objects_003.rfa"? As far as I can tell, there isn't an "Objects_001" etc.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

rubberduck23 wrote:
Swaffy wrote:The best thing to do is set up a small mod with only the changes you have made. Because these edits are very etchy... for example changing the kit names means going into each map and changing the spawn kit names too.

Ok, what I am doing is basically a small "mod" (part of a bigger, general BF1942 project), as it is changing something to my liking rather than improving it.
I think I'll leave that re-naming of the kits for now, but is it literally as simple as renaming the kit and then changing the previous name of the kit in the map file to the new one?
Also, why specifically re-name it to "Objects_003.rfa"? As far as I can tell, there isn't an "Objects_001" etc.
You can't patch the Objects.rfa. Same goes for the Game.rfa. Those two have to be edited and repacked as ''Objects.rfa'' in your mod's Archives folder directly.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Classical Modder wrote:You can't patch the Objects.rfa. Same goes for the Game.rfa. Those two have to be edited and repacked as ''Objects.rfa'' in your mod's Archives folder directly.
Oh crap, I always forget about that. :oops:
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

oh, so THAT'S why I never got the Objects_003 RFA thing to work?
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
rubberduck23

Post by rubberduck23 »

Hmm, that's interesting. After I edited my copy of Objects, I tried to use WinRFA to repack it. When I used the program to place them in the Archives folder,
the edited .rfa file showed up only when I searched the folder with WinRFA, and for a reason unknown to me, displayed with a little padlock symbol next to it.
I thought it was merely a displaying error so I lanched the game and it crashed when loading a map. Then I realise that it probably wasn't a displaying error but a
true problem. So I eventually replace the old Objects file with my new one, and launch the game. The splash screen shows (the one that shows before the application
actually launches), and then nothing happens. I remove my edit of the Objects file, and still just splash screen followed by nothing. Might a re-install be required? Is there another way of fixing it?
Also, what would I need to edit in the said game file and how do I do the necessary to make it work properly?
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I believe your example is a good reason why I tend to lean more toward creating a new mod instead of saving over the base game's files. The chance to "break" the vanilla game is too high and reinstalling is a pain in the butt.

Did you back up the original (vanilla) Objects.rfa before saving over it?
rubberduck23

Post by rubberduck23 »

I did indeed back it up, and then some. In will certainly re-install, but how exactly do I create the mod that you are talking of?
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

rubberduck23 wrote:I did indeed back it up, and then some. In will certainly re-install, but how exactly do I create the mod that you are talking of?
Ah. This is where our backup of the ServerSideModding website comes into play. :D

Click the "Basic Tutorials" link at the top right of the page.