Basic Bots and AI help please!

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
fo0k

Basic Bots and AI help please!

Post by fo0k »

So I know little to nothing about AI and bots.

I am making another race map for the Interstate Mod.. and thought it would be pretty funny to have some bots around the race track with RPG's taking pot shots at passing cars..

I'm imagining they spawn onto a tiny bit of 'pathmap'.. basically a single land-locked square.. then they wait until cars are in range before shooting at them..

what is the absolute most simple way to get some bots spawning and doing this? :)
Nodbrother

Re: Basic Bots and AI help please!

Post by Nodbrother »

fo0k wrote:what is the absolute most simple way to get some bots spawning and doing this? :)
Have someone do the work for you :D
mrhowdoimodClassic

Post by mrhowdoimodClassic »

As long as the bot's are all on one team and players are on the other, this should be easy. Just see if you can't find a copy of that old program.. I think is was called botinator? maybe? it would allow you to path path maps, I used it for a zombie mod. it was perfect. had all the zombies funneling in right at one place. aahh beauty. anyways, I'd recommend using that, then creating spawn points for just the bots team. But if you're wanting players to be on both teams than you're probably out of luck because players that wanted to race might spawn there. Maybe you know of a way around that.

oh and here's the program: clicky
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

As I recall you don't even need pathmaps if you just want bots to stand in place and shoot at things that come near. I assume you don't really want them to move around. Have a basic Strategic area and basic AI con files and it should work as is. The bots will just idle where they spawn and will shoot at things that come in their viewing range. As I recall, they won't even change rotation when spawned idle. So you can even control what direction they will face. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
mrhowdoimodClassic

oh nice! I figured if it'd be like bf2 and they'd just die. beats my strategy!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

SO surely all this historical talk of auto (is anybody there?) gun turrets should just use a stationary bot.. and change the mesh to look like a gun turret?
e.g. a certain 'kit' uses the turret mesh for player mesh.. and this kit is unselectable by humans.. but on the flip side is the 'only' kit that bots spawn with?
auto base defenses?

something like that anyway.. need to be ironed out a bit!

thanks Apache.. sounds perfect.. but i really don't have a scooby doo how to get this rolling at all..

without an exact tutorial can you outline in total noob AI talk what i need to be doing to get to a point where i can ask questions to get it working? heheh!

thanks!
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

fo0k wrote: without an exact tutorial can you outline in total noob AI talk what i need to be doing to get to a point where i can ask questions to get it working? heheh!
I hope you get a reply to this !, I ask how to make AI maps or how to put AI into maps. Never got a decent reply. lol
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.
mrhowdoimodClassic

Just use the botinator for a simple set up! you can even skip the whole path-mapping set up anyways I believe. I'd recommend it.. it does it all for you, recognizing strategic points and things like that. The Cajun Wolf tutorial for it summarizes it all.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

have been searching and cannot find a copy of this puppy.. do have ze botinator? can you post a link and ill stick it in te downloads section. thx!

edit: forget that.. I was htiing a dead/wrong link on cajuns site. i got it.
freddy

Post by freddy »

fo0k wrote:SO surely all this historical talk of auto (is anybody there?) gun turrets should just use a stationary bot.. and change the mesh to look like a gun turret?
e.g. a certain 'kit' uses the turret mesh for player mesh.. and this kit is unselectable by humans.. but on the flip side is the 'only' kit that bots spawn with?
auto base defenses?
i think it would be easier to build a pco turret and let just the bots spawn/use it

Code: Select all

ObjectTemplate.setAIEnterOnSpawn 1
ObjectTemplate.disableSpawnPointsOnEnter 1
spawnPointManager.onlyForAI 1