networkableInfo's - Which vehicles & objects Need them???

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
professor_smith

networkableInfo's - Which vehicles & objects Need them???

Post by professor_smith »

Hello Again Folks,
So, I am still having trouble with getting a lot of my mod's maps, to work correctly without bugs/errors, over a dedicated server. I have narrowed the problem, down to the various objects and vehicles in my mod, having too many networkableInfo scripts (or as the debugger puts it, "Too many statemasks"), as well as the error, "Out of ghost IDs", which I have determined, means there are too many player controlled objects, that share the same Soldier spawn points. This second error, is easily fixable. However, the thing I'm having the most trouble with, is figuring out which vehicles/objects, to remove networkableInfo scripts from.
I recently did a process of elimination project, where I removed various networkableInfo scripts, from groups of vehicles' objects con, effects con, and weapons.con files. It helped to remove them from various effects files. I had to return them to the various objects files. When I removed them from the weapons files, some of the network / dedicated server errors went away, but it created new errors, such as getting stuck in a vehicle or stationary weapon, without a networkableInfo in the weapons.con file(s), unable to exit it, and then seemingly dying (suddenly dropping to 0 HPs) while still within the vehicle or stat mg position, unable to switch teams, unable to kill the soldier, and choose a different spawn point, Etc, or causing the client to disconnect from the server / causing the server to crash.
After placing the networkableInfo scripts back into all of the weapons files, I realized, that none of the naval vessels weapons files, have networableInfo scripts attached to their prospective Firearms templates, nor are they with in the original Battlefield 1942, Naval vessels' files.
When this issue is happening, and I enter a tank for example, instead of entering the tanks cockpit, it seems like the tank disappears or becomes invisible, and meanwhile you can still see the soldier, but the soldiers animations are screwy, you cannot see the Soldier's Helmet or its weapons, and it seems like a soldier is running, as you are moving the vehicle, and you can see the ground wheel dust effects of the moving tank, but not the tank itself.
So firstly, I'm wondering why it is that the naval vessels seem to work just fine, over a network or dedicated server, without having networkableInfo scripts in them, while when you remove them from aircraft, land, and stationary objects, it causes major network issues?
Secondly, I'm wondering if there's a way to trick the game engine, into thinking that aircraft and land vehicles, are Naval vessels, just in the sense of not requiring networkableInfo scripts within their weapons con files?
Thirdly, even though I have found many different discussions, about which templates, objects, bundles, rotational bundles, etc, require networkableInfo scripts, there is no definitive answer, as to which ones absolutely need the scripts, and which ones do not. Can anyone narrow this down for me?

Thank You,

Joshua
Professor_Smith
Last edited by professor_smith on Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lets make war games, not war.
freddy

Re: networkableInfo's - Which vehicles & objects Need them???

Post by freddy »

networkableInfo is there to send data to players in a server. essentially if your playing singleplayer you dont need it as you "are the server"

so everything that moves, things with sound (engines) and weapons firing is needed for multiplay.

thumbrules: to many engines (that has netinfo) attached to one vehicle often lags (example b17 and flettner is pruned to lag)

altho weapons has networkableInfo, the bullets/bombs cant use it, that would be to much data for a server to handle, instead they use prediction models for bullets/bombs/shells etc.
professor_smith

Freddy, what about just running a Multiplayer, CoOp game of 7 to 4 to 7 to 5 Odds Against Us, from the menu, and running a constant server there. If your computer or server tower could handle it, without heating up, would there be a lot of lag?

Also, could you please tell me anything you know about the Prediction Models and the other networkableInfo commands/flags, and their uses?

Thank You and Merry Christmas!
freddy

Post by freddy »

It seems it doesnt matter how many players, but instead if you think like there is to much data to send to each of the players that is close to each other in real-time, seems to get the server overwhelmed and cannot coop well with that.

The networkdata on plane engines is primarely used to show that the propeller is spinning and so other players can here the engine sound.

B17 with its 4 engines seems to be the limit of whats possible
professor_smith

So would you say that a cannon turret without a networkable info on its rotational bundle, would not visibly rotate in the players eyes, over a dedicated server? Or would it rotate for the player operating it, but not for the players viewing it rotate?

Joshua
Professor_Smith
freddy

Post by freddy »

professor_smith wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:21 am So would you say that a cannon turret without a networkable info on its rotational bundle, would not visibly rotate in the players eyes, over a dedicated server? Or would it rotate for the player operating it, but not for the players viewing it rotate?

Joshua
Professor_Smith
Yes the networkinfo sends the movement and sound data so other players can see and hear whats happening in the server.
professor_smith

So if that is the case, maybe I shouldn't even bother trying to rem out networkableInfo's in my objects or bother removing so many vehicles from my mod's maps because either the objects won't work as I meant them to, or each map will have 1/4th the number of vehicles/stationary weapons in them, which would be pretty boring. Honestly, I'm about to say **** running HTroop over a dedicated server. I am not upset at you at all freddy, but I am sick and tired of all the limitations of a dedicated server. I wish there was a way that I could still run my mod over a dedicated server, but have it ignore all of these limitations. You would think that with all the programmers out there, who found a way around the GameSpy arcade shut down, to continue being able to run Battlefield servers, and play bf1942, that someone could figure out how to get around these dedicated server limitations / "hangups".
Crash42modder

Post by Crash42modder »

Its actually possible to add objects (vehicles) to a map without requiring any network info at all. Bring it into an .rfa file just as a Standardmesh, using the mods textures and thats it, without the entire objects folder and the irrelevant weapons.con file and network.con file etc etc. This also shrinks your .RFA file size.
professor_smith

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Would you be able to show me an example? Ty

Joshua
Professor_Smith
professor_smith

Actually, after rereading your reply much, much later, I do believe I understand clearly, but never realized placing the objects file within the map, would not require networkableInfo scripts, to run a map over a local, internet, or dedicated/non dedicated server. If that is correct, it would be awesome! I will definitely be testing this out and be getting back to you with the results.

Joshua
Professor_Smith